Saturday, December 1, 2007

A True Sex And The City Moment

I just had a memory of my first business, which was actually starting a business, out of my apartment in San Francisco.

I had a huge 4 bedroom apartment so I though why not make 1 room a waxing room and bring my clients here? The intention behind this began because my current spa decided to renovate the building with us in it and my clients were asking for referrals. They did not want to come to me during the renovation! I can't blame them as they had to come see me in a dual room, that was divided by a sheet, and disrobe for their Brazilian wax. I felt like such an idiot for working in this place at this time. It was so ghetto.

I thought if they are willing to not come back because of this situation then they might as well come and pay me personally (in my clean home free of brawny construction workers). To do this I had to purchase a massage table and all the waxing equipment. Now unfortunately I had forgotten one thing but I did not yet know what it was.

I needed to do a test run obviously and I was looking for a model. Hmmm who should I ask?

So I have this friend who lives downstairs named Lana. She is my Seinfeld and I am her Kramer and its a funny story how we met.

When Rachel Met Lana:

My old spa name used to be Savana (I seriously will name my first child this I love it so much). We do make up fake names in spa's I know your wondering.

At this time Lana lived down stairs from me. She makes an appointment to come and see me not knowing I work at this spa ( remember my name is also not Savana in real life and this is who she has the appointment with). I actually run into her and am kinda meeting her for the first time when she naturally asks me where I work and what I do. I tell her I am Brazilian waxer at 77 Maiden Lane Salon and Spa. She tells me she just made an appointment there for a Playboy Wax which is what they call it on the west coast. We east coasters call it a Sphinx Wax like the hairless cat. Get it? The funny thing is she happened to make the apt with Savana so I had to explain who Savana was. I asked her if she cared that I was going to see her Chalupa and she said no. So it was on.

Ok so I digress. Lets go back to the original story. So I decide to set-up my massage table in my kitchen and we are laughing our asses off at the fact that I am waxing her butt crack in it. Hey its the largest room in the apartment and a perfect place to try out my new waxing table. Besides its mid day so none of the other roomies will be home...or so we thought.

Long story short. Someone did come home and wanted to know why the kitchen door was locked and it was one of my male roommates. It was at that moment that we also realized that I had forgotten a special oil to remove the wax. There is typically a residue left on the skin after the job is complete. Lets just say the olive oil in the kitchen cabinet did not make the cut.

We never did get around to explaining why the door was locked.....

No comments: