Friday, December 7, 2007

The Free Lunch Junkies And The Medical Anomaly.

There is a trend within the pharmaceutical industry to buy physicians lunch on a regular basis. Actually not just the physician but the entire office! I knew someday I was going to run into a problem with this but who knew when. I had gotten good at telling those who asked that we did not provide lunch.

I hired an assistant to bring some information packets into the city to distribute them among viable prospects. What I didn't know was he had agreed to send me in on a "luncheon". Apparently he did not understand the terminology. So I confirm the appointment that he has set up for me and take off to meet with this physician on Park Ave.

As soon as I get there the female physician who looks like Coffee Cake from The Bronx Tale tells me where to put the lunch. Its this moment that I realize whats happening. They expect me to court them in this fashion.

Not happening. I don't do lunch.

So in a split second I have to make a decision. I take a quick look around and see all the products they have are tragic. They literally have little sample bowls filled with stuff like Neutrogena and Cetaphil. Do not use this stuff!

I come to the realization that they would never buy my product. In my brain I've already checked out, disconnected myself from the situation. I look the physician dead in the eye (OK I am lying. I am counting the craters on her face) and realize that she really has very bad skin for a Dermatologist (I seriously thought she was the receptionist because of this when I initially walked in). I tell her that we as a company do not provide lunch as we are not a pharmaceutical company.

She tells me that she does not let anyone present without it. I leave and never look back.

Somebody needs to ween them off the stuff...

No comments: