Saturday, December 1, 2007

How To Be An Esthetician

I will never forget moving to San Francisco and having to retake my state board exam to be an esthetician in the state of California. It had been years since I had taken one in NYC and I waited 5 months for an exam date.

I had forgotten a lot of the really pointless rules that a lot of these states have. For example: I needed to wear closed toe shoes in a certain color and I showed up without those shoes. Of course I forgot these. I had not worn a lab coat in so long that I almost did not bring mine.

I had driven almost 2 hours outside San Francisco and my model had shoes that were in the right size and style for the test...so what do you think we did?

The unfortunate thing about switching shoes is that we had different sized feet. I had to wear a size 7 when I was an 81/2. I remember thinking that I wanted to walk out from the test. The pain was so bad that I was on the brink of leaving the entire time. The test took about 6 hours.

I was very surprised that I had to remove everything that I was applying to the face with tissues. How absurd. Estheticians I know you know this is ridiculous but for anyone who is not one just try it. Apply your face scrub or cleanser and then try to remove it with tissues.

The other funny thing was that state apparently is not interested to know whether or not we estheticians can actually wax. The want us to simulate waxing with honey. This is like the Easy Bake Oven version of waxing. How childish. They just take our money for school and for the test and barely gauge how worthy we are.

They really need to get it together..

No comments: