Friday, March 21, 2008

How To Bathe Part 2: Lavender Can Kill You

Back in the day, when I was still an amateur bather, I discovered aromatherapy. I would go to the herb store and buy those bottles of 100% pure essential oils. Some of them I could buy a little larger than others because they were used more frequently. I decided to buy a large bottle of Lavender. This bottle was 50 bucks.

So I get home and start to run the bath. I open the bottle and without looking dump half of the bottle into the bath. Normally these bottles come with a dropper in the top. So when you pour it you can count the drops. This bottle had no stopper because it was professional sized. I had no idea this was the case.

I am looking at the tub and thinking to to myself that I will take this bath since its now a $25 bath. I get in the tub. Ah relaxing!!! But wait is that a headache coming on?

After about 15 minutes I start to feel weird like I'm going to pass out in the tub. I can't keep my eyes open, I try to stay awake but feel sick in the process. I am now nauseous, and weakly trying to hold onto the side of the tub so I don't drown and then I taste it... lavender oil in my mouth?

How did I swallow it? I wonder if this is the problem.

I realize that I did not swallow it but that it was in every cell of my body and that's why I could actually taste it. In my aromatherapy training I was taught this but was a non-believer. Ancient lore says that garlic, when rubbed on the feet, can be detected on the breath within 20 minutes.

I dry off and lay in my bed, too weak to move. It took more than 10 hours to feel better and I had to brush my teeth once an hour, to eliminate the lavender taste which kept returning for days.

Obviously I am still very much alive...but I say don't try this at home.

No comments: