Wednesday, March 19, 2008

How To Bathe Like The Japanese

You know you need a shower but don't feel like it. Fret no more because the ritual bath is making a comeback.

I have found that people no longer know how to bathe well myself included. What do I mean? Well going to the store to buy a body wash to dump in the tub for bubbles is not a bath. It lacks elegance and does not give the bather the true rejuvenation they need.

There are many ways to bathe well but for god sakes make some damn effort! You need to create a bathhouse-like environment.

The first thing you need to decide is what ails you. Is it sore muscles, tiredness, a sickness of some sort, anxiety, a rash, or are you just plain dirty?


So here is an example of a real bath. Just tonight I took a ritual bath... relaxation is the intention.

Because I have decided to quit my job and go forward with this website ...I'm totally tense. I also got sick this week and really needed to feel and smell good.
I was sent a Japanese bathhouse kit from a company who specializes in the ritual bath. In the kit there are several steps that lead to bathhouse style bathing. First a clay wash that smells like Yuzu, then a scrub that has various seeds and rice grains in it smells like Lemongrass, next a mesh bag containing; cherry flowers, various barks, rice and seeds goes in the tub and filled with water. As per the instructions I routinely squeeze this pouch over me as I bathe like I'm being prepared for sainthood, then I pat myself dry get out of the tub, I apply lime oil to my skin, over that I apply a plum cream. Bliss I tell you.

You may be thinking this is insane but its not. You can focus your mind during this type of relaxation. You can achieve this better than any massage for a fraction of the cost.

I smell divine for 3 days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my god...I so need one of these bath rituals right now. ahhhh